Flaming Dragon's Blood Cocktail Recipe
Raise the bar on your Lunar New Year festivities with the Flaming Dragon's Blood Cocktail by Dini from The Flavour Bender. Ignite the night and dazzle your family and friends with this fiery and flavourful concoction.
Thyme and Raspberry syrup (blood syrup) (makes about 1 cup / 240 mL)
- 340 g frozen raspberries 12 oz
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 100 g white sugar ½ cup
- 120 mL of water ½ cup
- 1 drop brown food colouring 1 small drop brown gel food colouring (this is optional if you want to darken the color of the syrup further)
Flaming Dragon's Blood Cocktail (thyme and raspberry daiquiri) - for one cocktail
67 mL white rum (Bacardi is used in this recipe)
44 mL thyme and raspberry syrup
22 mL freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 ice cubes
⅛ tsp pearl lustre dust or red lustre dust (optional)
1 ½ tsp Bacardi rum 151 optional (PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE)
Thyme and Raspberry Syrup (Dragon's Blood Syrup)
1. Place all the ingredients (340 g frozen raspberries,3 sprigs of thyme,100 g white sugar,120 mL of water) in a saucepan (except the brown food colouring). Cook the mix over medium - medium high heat.
2. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and bring the mix to a boil. Stir frequently until the raspberries have softened and break down in the syrup. Remove the syrup from the heat and let it cool down completely. This is important as the raspberries and thyme will infuse the syrup.
3. Strain the mix through a fine sieve to remove some pulp and seeds. Optional - strain through a nut milk bag as well to remove any smaller pieces of the syrup.
4. Do not squeeze the pulp too much, as you don't want too much of the pulp in the syrup. The syrup shouldn't be cloudy.
5. Add the brown food colouring to make the syrup a slightly darker red colour. This is an optional step.
6. Pour the syrup into a bottle and store in the fridge.
Flaming Dragon's Blood Cocktail (Thyme and Berry Daiquiri)
1. Place all the ingredients in a cocktail mixer (lustre dust as well, if you want a shimmery cocktail).
2. 67 mL white rum (Bacardi is used in this recipe), 44 mL thyme and raspberry syrup,22 mL freshly squeezed lemon juice,2 ice cubes,⅛ tsp pearl lustre dust
3. Shake for a few seconds to chill the cocktail.
4. Strain the cocktail into a coupe glass.
5. This is an optional step - Place a cocktail spoon over the surface of the cocktail and carefully layer 1 ½ tsp Bacardi rum 151 over the cocktail. Carefully light the rum 151 layer on fire using a match or lighter. This is only for the theatrics, and has no impact on the flavour of the cocktail.
6. Before consuming the cocktail, the fire MUST BE SMOTHERED. Place a saucer or small plate over the glass to put out the flame. The cocktail can be enjoyed once the flames are put out.
Celebrate the Year of the Dragon 2024 at Rhodes Waterside! Click here for the festive line-up of our Lunar New Year events 🧧🐉